Re: Amplifier modes on Asus Xonar DGX

On 28 October 2014 9:05 Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Janusz Slowinski wrote:
>
> > The card description states: "3 headphone AMP gain modes for different
> >
> > usage scenarios - VOIP, pro-gaming, exciter" and in Windows driver you
> >
> > can easily change the AMP modes. I once tested this card and I can
> >
> > confirm that on good headphones the modes make a big difference.Those three modes just adjust the volume.
>

> This makes a difference on any headphones.  :)
>

> > So the question is if it is possible to set those AMP modes using
> > ALSA?I think these gain modes are silly.  But if you really want them, I can
>
> add them to the driver.
>

> Regards,
>
> Clemens

Thank you for a quick response. Well I think that adding them to the driver
would be good as it would make the Linux driver having the same features as
Windows one.

I agree that gain modes may be a bit silly and unproffessional, altough for
me (online FPS gamer) the footsteps were much louder with the gaming gain
mode, so there is something good about it. And this card is very popular
among FPS players, because well, we play on headphones ;) And recently many
FPS gamers want to make a switch to linux, because Counter Strike: Global
Offensive (biggest competetive online FPS) is now native on Linux.

So IMO if it isn't that much trouble it would be nice to add gain modes to the
driver, because many people using this card love them, because you can hear
footsteps better or just have better bass when listening to music. Not very
proffessional, but very enjoyable for end user :)

BTW Are the gain modes just predefined equalizer settings in amplifier or
is it some hardware magic?

Best regards