Re: static noise USB Microphone AKG Perception 120 USB

Sven Moeller wrote:
> Am Samstag, 27. September 2014, 12:19:17 schrieb Clemens Ladisch:
>> Sven Moeller wrote:
>>> recently I've bought this Mic. The AKG Perception 120 USB has a 24 bit A/D
>>> converter with 128x oversampling.
>>
>> This is an interesting choice of words.  I notice the absence of statements
>> like "uses" or "actually supports".
>
> The product description says "USB microphone with an integrated analog-to-
> digital converter with 24-bit and 128x oversampling":
> http://www.akg.com/P120+USB-1039.html?pid=1030
>
> lsusb -v -d 074d:3556
>
>   idVendor           0x074d Micronas GmbH
>   idProduct          0x3556 Composite USB-Device

This chip is a Micronas UAC 3556B.

The datasheet says:
| - supports 8/16-bit mono/stereo recording and up to
|   24-bit playback

It would be possible to connect an external A/D chip (and according to
AKG's ads, they did), but this is what the descriptors say:

(playback:)
>         bNrChannels             1
>         bBitResolution         16

>         bNrChannels             2
>         bBitResolution         16

(capture:)
>         bNrChannels             1
>         bBitResolution          8

>         bNrChannels             1
>         bBitResolution         16

>         bNrChannels             2
>         bBitResolution         16

Well, lookee here:  <http://www.akg.com/Counterfeit+Warning-1053.html>.
You could try asking them if this device was designed so that 8 bits of
the digitized samples are thrown away before transferring them to the
PC, or if it actually supports 24-bit recording and you happened to get
a counterfeit device instead.

Regards,
Clemens