Re: Reverse engineering a Mairan UCON-CX

On 04/03/2014 03:12 PM, Anders Genell wrote:
> I have a Marian UCON-CX external usb sound card. It is to the best of my
> knowledge not class compliant at all. It is not maintained by Marian any
> longer, and only supported up to Windows XP, which as of the end of this
> week is not maintained itself.
>
> I have emailed the Marian devs and they will not release a driver for
> e.g. Win7/8, nor will they release any code for third party (linux)
> developement.
>
> The sound card is hence basically an expensive paper weight.
>
> As far as I can guess, the card needs some blob uploaded at startup to
> function. I have the original driver disk, but I am unsure if it
> contains a complete binary blob, or if there is some MS voodoo going on
> as well.

Some cards just hide their class compliant interfaces behind vendor
specific descriptors in order to escape the stupidness of the Windows
USB stack. Others implement a completely proprietary protocol. Without
looking into the communication, it's impossible to tell.

> If anyone would like to take a stab at reverse engineering a linux
> module for this card, I'd be happy to lend my card.

I think a good first step would be to trace the communication between
the driver and the card using a software analyzer. Either on the Windows
side, or on Linux with usbmon, together with a VM such as VirtualBox.

It might be worth the effort, the hardware actually looks quite
advanced, according to the specs on their website.

Daniel