ALC887-VD (Realtek codec): no sound out of any jack

Here is my ALSA info:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=2ccf9d812d575f8b46cd8c0d4417c554dede523f
. Motherboard is a Asus M4A87TD EVO.

Made a bit of a setup where I plugged in a set of headphones into
every jack in the back of the motherboard except the mic and
disconnected the front panel to remove that as a possible conflict. I
was on kernel 3.10.25, but I compiled kernel 3.13.5 with what I
believe to be the correct options enabled regarding ALSA and sound
devices. This was to see if an updated version of ALSA would work. I
did not build the Nvidia driver just in case that was actually
conflicting due to the HDMI part but that does not appear to be the
case.

Basically, there is still no sound. I have all volume bars set to the
max except S/PDIF ones in alsamixer (I heard enabling just one S/PDIF
one makes the card go into digital mode and disable analog outputs,
maybe true?). I've tried setting options in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf
(Gentoo) like model=auto and model=generic, index=0, index=1 (mostly
because of what I found by searching) but I heard these are no longer
necessary with newer versions of ALSA. Right now I'm running with no
options set in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf (completely commented out).
Restarted many times.

ALSA info for 3.10.25 is here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=609d11c6e857e2646ff09903725b1668cfc40ba7

Feeling really out of options here. Any help would be appreciated. I
built the kernel with debug support for ALSA so there is extra output
in the ALSA info.

I do wonder if I have a dead audio card but I don't have a quick way
to test that (as in installing Windows). The only sound I have ever
got out of this was what was routed the HDMI port of the Nvidia card.

Thanks
Andrew