AC3 hardware output and seeking

Hello,

I recently upgraded my computer configuration and now audio is playing
through an AV Receiver, which is hooked up to my computer via S/PDIF.

I'm playing back most of my files with either audacious or mplayer

Both have been configured to use alsa and bypass pulseaudio (which is
still present on the system).

since I'm now playing back digitally, I use hw:0.1

 > aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Now starting playback and every (!) seek in the file results in my
receiver detecting anew the audio type ("DIGITAL" in the case of PCM
stereo, and "DOLBY DIGITAL" or "DTS" in case I directly pass such data
from mplayer, and muting the audio for half a second.

Even the little indicators on the receiver's display turn off and on
again, as it seems for a short time there's no connection (or invalid
data?) on the digital connection.

On audacious I don't know, but playing back something and then seeking
in mplayer with verbose output shows something like this:

MPEG Stream reached EOF
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: audio)
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: audio)
MPEG Stream reached EOF
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: video)
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: video)
MPEG Stream reached EOF
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: audio)

any Idea why this happens?

To summarize: it is not related to AC3 throughput (my initial
suspicion), because it also happens with plain PCM data.

--
Cheers,
Alex