Akai EIE

Bear with me, I am new to the audio world and ALSA.  I have this
electromusic interface expander, called the Akai EIE.

http://www.akaipro.com/product/eie

I am using it with a research project, where we will be recording four
microphones simultaneously.  The recording is to be done on the
Raspberry Pi, which has had USB problems, but this particular device
seems to be working. Well, sort of.

I customized a Raspbian image to fit our needs and the audio comes out
great, speed is correct, no snap crackle pop issues, this was done
back in the May\June of 2013.  I have come back the creation of a
operating system image, and I have begun to make a customized
buildroot image, but I ran into a problem.  The audio that I record
from my buildroot image, is fast.  When I record my voice with one of
our microphones and play it back, I sound like a chipmunk!  I am using
arecord to record the audio.  My initial thought was that I was doing
something wrong in my buildroot configuration, so I tried the same
steps in the latest Raspbian image.  I got the same exact results.  I
tested both my old Raspbian image and the recording on my development
machine, the audio comes out fine there.

I think I might have found a bug in some newer ALSA code? I tried
creating a buildroot image with the 3.6 kernel (the kernel I know is
working) and I get the same crappy audio.  I'm thinking its a change
in ALSA or a configuration issue on my end that I am missing, but I am
not quite sure how to go about troubleshooting this issue.

I could really use some pointers!  Thanks!