Re: Terratec DMX 6Fire - how to configure in OpenSUSE 13.1?

I thank you, Daniel, for the information.
I, however, are not very experienced, the procedure to be followed is that on the ALSA wiki?

"Quick installation" --> "Now unzip and install the alsa-firmware package:"

I'm a little confused, I have to follow the whole "Quick installation" procedure, or only the "Now unzip and install the alsa-firmware package:" session?

However, I did some test

In YAST package manager I see an installed package named "alsa-firmware" with version 1.0.27-2.1.2.
but no "dmx6firel2.ihx" file find in my system.

I tried to download the file "alsa-firmware-96ebc5f.tar.gz" from "http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-firmware.git" as instructed by the wiki.
but no "dmx6firel2.ihx" file find in the "alsa-firmware-96ebc5f" folder contained.

So I found the file "6fire-firmware-1.23.0.02-1-mdv2012.0.noarch.rpm" in "http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=6fire-firmware"
I installed it
and now I find the "dmx6firel2.ihx" file in the "/lib/firmware/6fire/" folder

Good!
After this the USB audio device is visible in

aplay -l
card 1: DMX6FireUSB [TerraTec DMX6FireUSB], device 0: DMX6FireUSB [DMX 6Fire USB]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

And I can see it in the ALSA mixer by change sound card with the F6 function.
No more firmware error in dmesg.
In the Jack Audio Connection Kit in the ALSA page I can see the MIDI IN and OUT ports.
In VLC I can select the ALSA audio module and Terratec DMX 6 Fire card correctly, and the files playback is good working.
The card is correctly activated at startup and hotplug.

Not good (I think)

No system audio card present in YAST Audio configuration panel, then no system sound possible.
Error trying to manually configure it with YAST (the previous same error).
Not present in the Jack "Audio" panel as an analog capture device or audio playback device (I do not know if it can be normal)
Seem not possible to record digital audio from COAX digital input from Audacity despite the correct setting in ALSA mixer "Opt/Coax" voice with "Optical" and "Coax" option set to "Coax", I do not be able to identify the digital input channel, even trying them all (on this function will do more experiments, maybe even with Ardour)

There is something to do to enable digital audio recording?
it would be possible to have the system sound on this card? (now the system output is on the Sound Blaster Live configured in YAST)

Meanwhile, thank you very much, Daniel, for the help you gave me.

Regarding the modification of the wiki, I would love to help other users by writing something in it, but the problem is that I have absolutely no experience in editing wiki, I would not know where to start.
Possibly you could give me some advice on how to proceed?

Bye

Il giorno mer, 18/12/2013 alle 21.14 +0100, Daniel Mack ha scritto:
On 12/18/2013 08:25 PM, renedrive wrote:
> I just bought the USB audio sound card Terratec DMX 6Fire.
> I tried to install it on my OpenSUSE 13.1 without success (kernel
> version 3.11.6-4-desktop).

[...]

> <the snd-ice1712 kernel module can not be loaded>

This is unrelated.

> dmesg | grep 6fire
> [    7.539580] ALSA firmware.c:223 6fire: error requesting ezusb firmware 6fire/dmx6firel2.ihx.

Here's your problem. You have to provide a firmware image for this
device to work.

In order to help others, please edit the ALSA wiki and add this
information :)

Daniel