Re: I think that the current state of ALSA is poor

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013, wempwer@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 11:39:09AM +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> wempwer@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> mplayer uses the "default" device by default, unless you have changed
>> this in ~/.mplayer/config.
>
> Damn... Why do they do that? Why does some program make it so hard to
> play sound? I can't see any reason for it.

Take it up with the program developer.

> And to all of you, you see, I don't try to say that ALSA sucks. The
> problem is that nothing gave so many problems as ALSA did. Either
> recording does not work (Acer, linphone, arecord on HP), or cards are
> set in a non-logical way (HDMI shouldn't set be as the default card as
> on Toshiba), or some programs do not follow config written
> specifically for them (mplayer), or some things happen in a way much
> different than written in documentation (cannot mute PCM or moving PCM
> slider has no effect). I had some problems with dual monitor setup and
> nvidia drivers on one machine but apart from that everything worked on
> Linux for a few last years (now I remembered that card reader on HP
> Pavilion does not work at all, I needet to get an USB adaptor but it
> worked out of the box and I don't use it on a daily basis). ALSA is a
> different story. For me, as a beginner, it seems overcomplicated. It
> uses words such as `PCM' that I have no idea about, config syntax is
> bizarre and if a normal user has some problems with ALSA in general
> his only way to handle it is to try solutions found on the Internet by
> trial and error for the most part. Documentation is ... let's say,

Alsa documentation is attrocious, either for the user or for the developer.
that is one of the problems with programs behaving badly.
Regarding Alsa itself, as I said, there are so so many sound cards out there
and so many of the manufacturers refuse to reveal any details of their cards
that it is amazing that any sound works. Video is much more standardized, but
audio, every two bit manufacturer figures they can make a card and sell it,
and hide how really really bad it is by making everything proprietary.

But lets not go there-- the main problem is that the documentation is poor.

> it's incomplete (I don't want to make you angry again). I had some
> problems with ALSA on many computers I used Linux on. You can say that
> I am inexperienced but please, look at it from a different angle - I
> really think situation could get better. Sound is something that
> almost all desktop computers use on a daily basis and if it doesn't
> work out of the box it won't make users switch to Linux. I realize
> that hw manufacturers are reluctant to co-operate with open source
> developers. However, this is not an explanation that will appeal to
> masses and is not the only blocker here.

??
I do not think that alsa developers are out to make users switch to Linux.
Linux is not some "product" that anyone is trying to sell lots of. It is not
some area which can tell people-- go do this and that. It is largely a
volunteer effort and is a free product. You are approaching it as if you had
gone to a store to buy it.
If it makes you happier, go use Windows or Mac. However, the plusses for linux
tend to outweigh the minuses. For example you can ask for help on forums like
this. Now, if you had come here and asked for help, instead of taking your
frustrations out on people you might well have been much further ahead.