Sound from the jack on the attached monitor

Hi,

I have a basic application which produces some sound using alsa lib. When I
plug my headphone to the jack on the PC, I can hear the sound with the
following asound.conf:

pcm.dmixer {
	type dmix
	ipc_key 324558
	slave {
		pcm "hw:1,0"
	}
	bindings {
		0 0
		1 1
	}
}
pcm.!default {
	type plug
	slave.pcm dmixer
}

I now have a monitor which has also a jack for the headphone and the monitor
is hooked to my pc with the displayport cable. I have followed the wiki page
and realized that I should be able to hear sound with the following
configuration:

pcm.multi {
        type multi;
        slaves.a.pcm "hw:0,1";
        slaves.a.channels 2;
        slaves.b.pcm "hw:1,0";
        slaves.b.channels 2;
        bindings.0.slave a;
        bindings.0.channel 0;
        bindings.1.slave a;
        bindings.1.channel 1;
        bindings.2.slave b;
        bindings.2.channel 0;
        bindings.3.slave b;
        bindings.3.channel 1;
}

pcm.!default {
	type plug
	slave.pcm multi
}

hw:0,1 is the sound card where the displayport is located and hw:1,0 is the
one which has the jack on the pc. With this conf, I can't hear any sound
either jacks. However, I can hear sound when I run the following famous
call:  aplay Front_Center.wav

This works for both jacks.

Could anyone shed some light? Where am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
BTW: everything is un-muted in alsamixer.