Re: Asus Xonar STX, optical out not working

On Fri, 2013-08-23 at 17:55 +0200, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:
> to be honest, this is the first time ever I am trying to use TOS an a
> card, so I have no idea.

In my experiences it's as Clemens said, there always should be light,
but ...

perhaps your card does provide optical and coaxial SPDIF and you need to
set some jumpers on the board?! Just a shot in the dark.

My card, a professional sound card, does provide ADAT, this is optical
and at the same time it does provide SPDIF coaxial, but I can set it, to
use the optical ADAT IOs, to become optical SPDIF IOs ... IIRC ;), I
don't need SPDIF.

I remember that a blind user couldn't get SPDIF working for his Envy24
card, using alsamixer. Since I've got Envy24 cards installed as
MIDInterfaces, I used the GUI for those cards and compared it with
alsamixer. The blind user struggled hours and couldn't get SPDIF
working, while it took just a few seconds, when I used the GUI mixer and
compared it with the settings for alsamixer and then sent him what t do
by email.

IMO alsamixer sometimes is hard to understand ;). The blind user, that
blind that he does use Braille, but not completely blind user, was able
to notice a red light, but there anyway was no sound, so I guess, if
there's no light, something might be fishy. But again, just a shot in
the dark.

Regards,
Ralf