Struggling with period and buffer sizes in asoundrc file

When I'm playing my music with Deadbeef, Audacious or via MPD I get
this period and buffer size parameters. Depending on bit-rate of recorded
music files, you get some default values I guess. Is there a way to
alter this default values with asoundrc or something else? I can do
it easily with Jackd server but then you are stuck with one rate
until you manually restart jackd and change it.

<htpc>[~]# cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 5513
buffer_size: 22050

<htpc>[~]# cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S24_3LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 96000 (96000/1)
period_size: 12000
buffer_size: 48000

I would like to change this default values in some asoundrc file.
For example:

If you play some music that is 24/92kHz recorded, change period size
to 512 and buffer size to 1024. And when playback is back to 44.1kHz
rate, set period size to 128 and buffer size to 256. How can I do that?