Benchmark Media DAC2 HGC iffy USB 2.0 audio

Hello, I'm having difficulties getting my brand-new Benchmark DAC2 HGC to work reliably. I think it's supposed to be a USB Audio Class device, and it runs w/o additional drivers on Mac OS X just fine, and under Windows using Benchmark Media's drivers for USB 2.0 audio.

But under Linux, it doesn't seem to work at all in USB 1.0 mode: Seems to be recognized OK but shows no output device in the Gnome sound configuration utility.

In USB 2.0 mode, it's iffy, often briefly showing up as a USB 1.0 device, then disappearing from the Gnome sound configuration tool altogether. It behaves similarly in Windows, initially showing up as a 1.0 device, disappearing, but reappears as a 2.0 device a few seconds later, and under Windows, it works fine every time. Sometimes if I plug the DAC into my Windows notebook first, then plug it into the Linux box, the DAC will show up as a USB 2.0 device, and will work great, at least until I power it all down.

Currently using Linux Mint 15 (Mate) 64-bit w/Kernel 3.8.0 and libasound2 1.0.25-4ubuntu3.1.

Results of lsusb -v in both USB 1 and 2 modes are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eq9ed280i1kka4a/hSsAYhyRJ7

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

Jeff