How to use the new channel map API?

Hello,

I'm trying to use the recently introduced ALSA channel map API for
surround playback.

I tried many combinations of calling snd_pcm_set_chmap() at various
points, many combinations of device names,
calling snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels_near or
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels, but nothing seems to be successful. I
get various error message (I'm sorry that I can't be more detailed,
but summarizing what I tried is probably not very helpful). The most
interesting issue was that calling snd_pcm_query_chmaps right after
opening the device returned all layouts supported by the system, and
later on the same handle returned a list that contained the terminating
NULL element only.

The code I'm trying to change could output surround just fine using
legacy device names (like "plug:surround51").

Trying to run aplay --chmap=fl,fr,rl,rr,fc,lfe -Dplug:surround51
audiodump.wav (where audiodump.wav contains 5.1 S16 PCM data) crashes
with a double free error.

The only program other than aplay that uses the new API I've found was
VLC, which has the snd_pcm_set_chmap call commented.

The documentation (I looked at the doxygen) wasn't very helpful. It's a
bit too scarce.

Instead of having to find out what works through trial & error (which
isn't guaranteed to result in correct code), or reverse engineering
aplay's code (which crashes anyway, as pointed out above), it would be
nice to know what exact sequence of function calls ALSA lib expects for
setting up the channel map. Preferably this should be included in the
official documentation.

My version of the ALSA lib is 1.0.27 (on Debian unstable). My kernel is
3.8.6.