Asus Xonar DX (AV200) dmix resampling

Hi,

I just bought an Asus Xonar DX with AV200 chip and I have some questions regarding dmix.

Even though it's an 192 kHz card, I noticed that mplayer played a 96 kHz file at 48 kHz:

AUDIO: 96000 Hz, 2 ch, s32le, 0.1 kbit/0.00% (ratio: 16->768000)
(...)
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s32le (4 bytes per sample)

This turned out a dmix thing. When I put this in asound.conf:

pcm.default "hw:0"

it does play at 96 kHz.

I have two questions:

1) Why does it resample to 48 kHz on a card that supports 192 kHz?

2) Why does it resample at all when there is only one stream? Creative cards were always bashed for doing this in hardware (to support hardware mixing) because it reduced sound quality. Now that high-end cards don't do this anymore, it seems to defeat the purpose to then put it in software. I understand it's necessary for mixing sources, but doesn't one like to retain full quality when there is one source?

As it stands, a lot of people that think they play HD audio, actually don't.

Is this a bug / lack of feature?

Regards,

Wiebe