Re: Capturing stereo signals into files

Thanks a lot Friedrich (and to the author Nicholas) for pointing me to rotter!

I did a few test and indeed it's looking exactly what I need so far. I might just need to tweak it a bit so I can specify which channels exactly to get the inputs, and make sure that it can run multiple recording processes concurrently.

Meanwhile, more suggestions and hints are still most welcome. Thank you!

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Friedrich Ewaldt <friedrich.ewaldt@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Vincent,

Vincent Gulinao schrieb am 02.05.2013 19:19:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a task to setup a system that will continuously capture multiple
> stereo signals using a MADI audio card (RME HDSPe MADI) and write them into
> files (perhaps in 1 hour chunks). Few checks I've learned while googling on
> the topic looks like that my linux setup seem to recognize the card at
> least.
>
> I'm a total noob in ALSA and audio concepts in general. I've read many docs
> and forums (e.g. arecord, asoundrc, pulseaudio, jack, etc.) here and there.
> But while I wait all those info settle in my mind, can somebody pitch here
> some high-level hints on what things I need to know, or what sort of
> questions should I be asking, to accomplish this task and make sure I'm on
> the right direction?
>
> Thanks in advance!

There's an application targeted at recording audio continuously in
chunks of 1 hour length called 'rotter':

http://www.aelius.com/njh/rotter/

I didn't use this application for quite some time, so I don't know
whether this program still does what you are looking for. But at the
time I used the program it just worked: lightweight and solid.

rotter requires that you run the jack audio server (you would let jack
run all the time).

For sure there are other (better?) options that I don't know of, but
your goal (continuously in 1 hour chunks) seems to be exactly what
rotter was built for...