strange 2ch problem

Hi Guys,

I started having this problem few days ago, not sure what caused it.

first my setup:
mac mini 6.1 (late 2012) running debian x64 - kernel 3.8.10
denon 4311 avr, connected via HDMI
5.0 speaker setup

Previous to a few days ago, when I am just playing mp3 tracks I will use mplayer and it worked fine. Now it doesn't. On the Denon I can see the 2channel light up when I use mplayer, but no sound.

Interesting I also have mythtv on this box, and when i watch TV it works fine (with both 2ch and DolbyDigital sources) - again the denon will say either 2ch or DD.

I have tried different players (mpg123, instead of mplayer), alsamixer says the channels arn't muted (and if I mute them, the denon stops reporting a signal source)

It almost looks like the Denon is at fault, but mythtv can play 2ch fine, and the denon lights up the exact same between mythtv and mplayer.

If I try other devices (aplay below) the denon doesn't light up at all.. So 0,8 is the right one, besides its been working for months..

previous working asoundrc:
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "digital-hw"
}

pcm.digital-hw {
 type hw
 card 0
 device 8
}

ctl.digital-hw {
 type hw
 card 0
}

root@crystal:~# aplay -l
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: Cirrus Analog [Cirrus Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: Cirrus Digital [Cirrus Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

At the moment this is my work around asoundrc (this causes the denon to see a 5.0 signal :
pcm.raw {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm "digital-hw"