Re: Audio-gd NFB-17.32 (VIA VT1731)

Some update concerning changing rates...

As Torstein predicted -

> One thing I have seen is that when ALSA initializes a new device, it
> sets the sample rate to the highest rate supported by the device. If a
> pulseaudio daemon runs, even if it isn't going to output sound on the
> usb sound card, it will set the card sample rate to 44.1kHz right after
> the snd-usb-audio module is loaded. This will cause the first track
> played at 44.1kHz not to be a sample rate change. This might account for
> the difference if all three distros run pulseaudio and openwrt doesn't.
>
> Can you try to see what happens when you switch between content with
> different sample rates on one of the linux distros? There are some
> samples available at http://01688cb.netsolhost.com/samplerdownload/
> If the pulseaudio theory is correct, you will see the sample rate change
> problem there.

I tried the Openwrt-box with 3.6.11 kernel which already uses the patch
and I did not have any problems changing sample rates.
I had two tracks, one 44.1kHz and one 96kHz. No matter which was started
first, there were no problems noticed.

On the laptop I used the Slax distro with 3.8.2 kernel, which I believe
does not use the patch, because it is not present in 3.8.3 kernel.
If I started to play the file with 96kHz track, the sampling rate
frequency (checked in cat /proc/asound/card2) was set wrong, but if the
track was stopped and restarted the sampling frequency was correct. When
I switched to 44.1kHz the sampling frequency was wrong and again after
stopping and restarting the track it was correct.

I did the reboot of the laptop and this time I started with 44.1kHz and
the sampling rate frequency was correct. When I changed to 96kHz track
the sampling frequency was wrong but after stop and restart it was
correct. And if I changed to 44.1kHz from the sampling rate was again
wrong, but was correct after I stopped and restarted the track.

Davor.