Re: ALSA and SCARLETT FOCUSRITE 8i6

On 19.03.2013 13:04, Rodolfo Thomazelli wrote:
> 'uname -a'
> Linux rodolfo 3.5.0-25-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 25 18:26:58 UTC
> 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

That recent enought to support your sound card. Unless there is
something in the USB descriptors the driver doesn't like.

> The second command (proc/asound/cards) returns "no such file or directory".

It's "/proc/asound/cards", with a leading "/".

> In sound controller there's only a "dummy output". The command 'aplay
> -l' gives "no sound cards found". Even the internal devices are not
> listed now. I think this is due the ALSA installation.
>
> Did you see the logs that I got in ALSA installation? I got some errors...

There's no need to install any extra driver. But yes, maybe your
attempts to do it anyway made the situation worse.

An update of Ubuntu should give you 3.5.0-26, which also ships with all
stock modules. You can try that. Alternatively, you can try installing a
much newer kernel. You can try if the x86_64 version of these archives
work for you:

  http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.8-raring/

Once you have your on-board ALSA device back, please try the following.
Disconnect your device, and enter

 $ sudo dmesg -c

... then plug it back in, wait for ~5 seconds and enter

 $ sudo dmesg -c

again. Then send the output to this list, and also check
/proc/asound/cards again.

Daniel