Re: 2 sound outputs?

(Ooops.  Forgot to reply to the list as well...)

Hi Doug,

I'm definitely not an ALSA expert, but I am aware there are ways
that should do what you want.  The following answer assumes you
are _NOT_ running PulseAudio.  If you are running PulseAudio,
you'll probably need answers from someone who knows PulseAudio.

If you do "aplay -l", you will see a listing of your sound units
by device names.  If you do "aplay -L", you will see a listing of
your sound units by PCM names.  Make a note of both name forms
for each of your units.

Most ALSA clients have a -d or -D option that takes one of the
name forms.  Apparently, some require one name form and some
require the other.  Try both forms and use whichever works.
Once you find which name form works with the client in question,
simply use the name of the sound unit to direct sound there.

If you have a client with absolutely no way to specify a sound
unit to use, you could use separate user accounts, each with a
.soundrc file that directs ALSA to use a given device as the
default audio device.  There is documentation on the details to
do that, probably better than I could remember to tell you.

HTH

Robert