Re: Microphone hell in Debian Wheezy

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, Alexandru Geana wrote:

> Bil Unruh:
> Sorry for my choice of words. What I meant with "arecord | aplay" not doing
> what it should was that I could not hear myself when talking. Those two
> commands should output everything that goes to the microphone and I could
> not hear anything. Furthermore, the laptop does have a sound card. I have
> added the output of lspci below.

I would dump the output of arecord to a file, and look at the file.(it should
be full of garbage-- but not repeated garbage). Or record using audacity and
see if you can choose that card.

> ael:
> Yes I read that and the alsa config posted on that page is not working
> either. For example, if I run "arecord | aplay" without my headphones on, I
> cannot hear myself. If I do the same thing with a pair of headphones,
> instead of my voice I hear static noise. If I try to record myself with
> Audacity without headphones, I cannot hear myself but if I use Audacity and

Why would you expect to hear yourself without headphones? The sound is being
sent to that sound card, not to your onboard speaker.

> headphones, all works well. But then, if I use headphones with skype, I
> cannot hear other people talking, just skype sounds and other people cannot

Skype sounds? This seems to be a problem with skype.

> hear me either. The alsa config which I am talking about is the one from
> the debian wiki<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Sound#ALSA_configuration>
> .
>
> Today I found out that *WITHOUT* the ".asoundrc" file containing the
> configs from the debian wiki, the microphone seems to work but it is very
> faint. If I blow air into the microphone, I can almost hear something.

Almost hear something?

> I am providing links to pastebin with the output of
> lspci<http://pastebin.com/fHuSc3vy>
> and amixer <http://pastebin.com/KnYJ3aZ3> running the 3.7 kernel from
> experimental. If there is anything else that is needed please let me know.
> I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to sound settings in general.

OK, it is an intel audio device. and alsa sees it.

You have auto-mute eneabled. Is that on purpose?
You have the internal mic enabled. Is that correct or are you using a mic
plugged into the mic jack on the front?

You have checked that you have the correct module loaded for the intel
soundcard?