Re: Sampling rates for tlv320aic3x

Hi Chard,

On 22.02.2013 11:48, Chard wrote:
> I need to specify an arbitrary sampling rate via the tlv320aix3x codec.
> However, on examination of the driver code, it appears that the code is
> hard-wired to only accept rates of 44.1kHz and 48kHz - or
> multiples/divisors of those 'standard' rates.  The fs(ref) is snapped to
> one of those rates.
>
> As a work-around, I've rebuilt the driver by hard-coding register values
> that achieve my desired sampling rate.
>
> I'd be interested to know if there is a particular reason why the driver
> has been limited in this way.  Is it just that there has not been a
> requirement for anything else to date?

I think the reason is just that - as usual - drivers are written for a
particular use case, and if someone needs to have it differently,
patches are always welcome.

Can you come up with an algorithm that produces the same register values
that the current code for all the currently supported standard rates and
which also works for your special case?

If so, please cook a git patch and send it to the alsa-devel list. Also
make sure to Cc: the maintainers, contributors and original authors of
the drivers (use scripts/get_maintainer.pl to get a list of relevant
people) and please read Documentation/SubmittingPatches in case there's
anything in there that's new to you :)

Thanks,
Daniel