Re: defaults.pcm.rate_converter not respected?

David Kačerek wrote:
> ... to prevent pointless and counterproductive resampling

Resampling happens only when needed.  And how can it be counterproductive?

To check whether resampling is done, use aplay with the -v option.

> If I play a 882000Hz track in mpd I can see in a performance monitor it uses
> significantly more CPU when "speexrate_best" is set in comparison with the
> bare "speexrate" so I guess mpd respects my "defaults.pcm.rate_converter"
> value. But when played the same track in mplayer the CPU load is the same
> regardless of the "defaults.pcm.rate_converter" value used.

mplayer explicitly disables ALSA's resampler (if enabled) and uses its own.

> Moreover when mplayer is started with "-af-adv force=3" parameter to
> disable internal resampling playing of such a track is stopped with
> an error even though "alsa" or "alsa:device=hw=0.0" is set as the audio
> output.

The "hw" device goes straight to the hardware, without software resampling.
For resampling to be possible, you'd need to use "plughw" or the default
"default" device.

Regards,
Clemens