Re: Creative SoundBlaster Recon3D PCIe - loopy noise instead of sound

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Jan Jabłeczny <magneto4u@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all, sorry if my English grammar is bad i'm not native English speaker.
>
> I have Arch Linux that is currently running kernel version 3.5.4 and
> PCIe sound card card Creative SoundBlaster Recon3D (1102:0012), which
> is based on Creative SoundCore3D chip (aka CA0132 which is also name
> used in kernel). Supposedly "basic" support for this card has been
> added to ALSA in kernel 3.5 and yes, it seems to detect this card and
> load right modules:

> card 0: Creative [HDA Creative], device 0: CA0132 Analog [CA0132 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> But it seems to not function right. At first there no sound at
> beginning  music or video plays silently... but on random moment the
> random sequenced blipy noise is played which loops only when you play
> some audio, it stops when i hit stop and does back when i hit play on
> any application. The sequence of noise is the same on all applications
> and sometimes changes. After a while i realized this noise is looping
> buffer with some random data appearing, sitting there and sometimes
> changing, since when i started to playing with buffer lengths the loop
> of a noise gone longer when i made buffer larger. It seems that sound
> data lands in wrong place.... but i don't know, that just my thinking,
> i don't know how inside works of ALSA.
>
> So the question is, it's me (eventually distribution maintainers)
> doing something wrong or it's caused by premature state of support of
> the card by ALSA? If first case then what should i do to fix this
> problem? but if 2nd case is a problem then i'm always happy to provide
> any data from that card which would be helpful to fix this, if it's
> possible.
>
> I read up this chip support (CA0132) originally been added for
> motherboards like Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 which use this chip for
> integrated sound and read that people actually getting correct sound
> from it, i didn't able google anyone trying to run SB Recon3D after
> 3.5 kernel. Also worth mention that i compiled 3.6-rc5 kernel to check
> if support gone any better, but there i didn't get any sound at all
> (maybe i didn't play audio long enough?), i only had pop in speakers
> when i first played the audio.
>
> So any help will be appreciated.

Ok nvm, i followed a lead with buffer a little bit deeper and i found
information about Intel HDA buffer position detection problems.
Switching snd_hda_intel module option fix_position to 1 solved the
problem and now i got sound right ^^

Sorry for not checking that first before posting, but at least
solution for others will be here :)
I hope you guys crack this card up more to add missing features in
future, good luck!