alsa-lib and RME HDSP9652

Hi Clemens et. al.!

I have a RME HDSP9652 and have since I switched from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 run into some trouble. The card works fine using e.g. aplay or jack, but it seems like apps using alsa-lib won't work. I noticed this when using OpenAL and posted something about it on those forums, but yesterday I tried mplayer and got a similar error, so I'm leaning towards alsa-lib, since that seems to be the common denominator. I have tested this on various hardware (a brand new sandy bridge, a couple of years old core 2 duo and the current ancient AMD 64-bit "hammer family").
I have so far only tested the stock alsa version distributed from the Precise Pangolin repos.

Below are examples of the error I got from mplayer and OpenAL respectively.
mplayer -ao alsa file.wav
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:326:(snd_pcm_hw_hw_params) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS failed (-16): Device or resource busy
[AO_ALSA] Unable to set hw-parameters: Device or resource busy

 OpenAL (via chromium-bsu)
AL lib: alsa.c:642: set params failed: Device or resource busy

Any ideas?

Please let me know what additional info is needed and if I should try some additional software.
I can if needed arrange access to the machine for testing.

Best regards,
Anders