Re: HDMI not getting sound (thread #2)

Hello Doug.
On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 01:04:48AM -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 07/05/2012 11:35 PM, Gregor Galwas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > your HDMI sound will only work, if your kernel/drm will suppoprt your
> > video-hardware.
> >
> > In my case I am using a AMD Radeon 6850 card + (oss) radeon driver.
> >
> > You can check if you have hdmi sound support by checking what your kernel
> > log output says
> >

> > dmesg | grep audio
> >
> > [drm] Enabling audio support
> >
> > As far as I know, you will need kernel 3.5-rc3 (or newer) to get working
> > HDMI sound (in case of most AMD 6xxx cards).
> >

> > Gregor
> >
> I too have not been able to get HDMI sound out of my video card in Linux
> (PCLOS) altho it works in XP. I had a lot of intended help from the PCLOS
> forum, but nothing worked. I was interested in your posting of the dmesg
> command.  I tried it and got this:
>
> [doug@Linux1 ~]$ dmesg | grep audio
> usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
>
> That has nothing at all to do with the HDMI output on the GeForce (NVidia)
> card, nor anything to do with the on-board sound that works fine locally.
> It refers to a web-cam with a mic that I have connected to the usb port.
> My kernel is 3.2.18, (32 bit) the latest available for this distro.

Have you tried to use either the proprietary NVidia drivers, or Nouveau? I
currently am using the former; and when properly configured (at least with my
machine), if I redirect audio to my SPDIF output, I'll get HDMI audio.
igueths@lappie:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Hope this helps!

--