HDMI not getting sound

Hi,

I have a debian sid desktop with an onboard soundcard working, a
logitech c905 webcam working and a amd hd6450 (caicos) graphik card. The
latter is connected to a samsung t240HD monitor via a hdmi cable. I have
failed so far to connect the sound to the monitors speakers - it is
without loud saying that these work flawlessly under win7.

aplay -l
        **** Liste der Hardware-Geräte (PLAYBACK) ****
        Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888
        Analog]
          Sub-Geräte: 1/1
          Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0
        Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888
        Digital]
          Sub-Geräte: 1/1
          Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0
        Karte 2: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], Gerät 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
          Sub-Geräte: 1/1
          Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0

cat /etc/asound.conf

        pcm.!default {
            type plug slave.pcm {
                type hw card 2 device 3
            }
        }

cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
        # autoloader aliases
        install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
        install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
        install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
        install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
        install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
        install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
        install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
        install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7
        # Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
        install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd &&
        { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet
        snd-seq ; }
        install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi
        && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
        install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1
        && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-emu10k1-synth ; : ; }
        # Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
        options snd-pcsp index=-2
        # Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
        options snd-usb-audio index=-2
        # Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
        options bt87x index=-2
        options cx88_alsa index=-2
        options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
        options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
        options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2

        options snd-hda-intel model="ATI R6xx HDMI"

Opening gnome-alsa-mixer I get three tab:
Realtek ALC888 | USB mixer | ATI R6xxx HDMI

The latter does not have any sliders. Using alsamixer I unmuted this
device to no success, however, the settings remain at 00 instead of MM
and cannot be upregulated to 50 e.g.

What do I have to do to get sound in the speakers?

I have been using lately ubuntu and changed back to debian for !! lack
of support for my graphic card in ubuntu.

I am the admin of my desktop and can adjust almost everything. I only
have to know _where_ to tune.

Greetings

Bernhard