Re: Reproducible pops on some hardware

On 06/27/12 13:07, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Bryan Ischo wrote:
>> OK I think I figured out a way:
> This is how mplayer does it.

Also - thank you for your response - and one more question:

I did some experimentation and on two systems that I have access to (one
which apparently has better sound hardware and was always more resilient
against popping noises than the other, no matter what technique I use),
I can't really tell any significant difference between the two alternate
approaches that I use:

1. Allow underrun (by not setting up the stop threshold, silence
threshold, and silence size), detect when underrun occurs by the return
status of snd_pcm_writei, correct by calling snd_pcm_prepare and
re-attempting the same write again.

2. Play silence unstead of underrun by setting up the stop threshold,
silence threshold, and silence size appropriately, detecting when
silence has been played out (an underrun "would have occurred") using
snd_pcm_avail() right before snd_pcm_writei and correct using
snd_pcm_forward

Both end up sounding exactly the same over a variety of tests.

My question is, are both techniques essentially the same from the
perspective of ALSA?  The results are so similar that I can't shake the
feeling that both techniques result in basically the same set of actions
by ALSA with respect to the audio hardware, and thus there is no reason
to favor one technique over the other.

Thank you,
Bryan