Re: Question on eliminating feedback

Le Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:08:07 -0400,
Jerry Geis <geisj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> > The best things to do would be to use something like a dbx, a
> > feedback suppressor. The problem is than they are expensive pieces
> > of hardware. The principle is simple: above a given (adjustable)
> > input level, you get an output level with a gain of 1, and under
> > this given input level, you get a gain (adjustable)<  1. That way,
> > the feedback will never begin, so it will never get the opportunity
> > to become louder and louder. The dbx are mostly used to suppress
> > feedback on stages.
> >
> > It should be very easy to implement such dbx as a software
> > effect, but I don't know if something like that already exist for
> > linux.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Dominique
> Dominique,
>
> I did some quick searching and didnt see anything like that.
> Is this something you can implement?

Unfortunately not. I am good with hardware, but not a programmer.

If using jack, you can try 2 or 3 effects into the jack-rack.

One is the crossover-compressor. The other is the RMS expander. Maybe
you can find some setup with them that would do the trick.

Another way to suppress the feedback would be to re-tune the audio.
Generally, feedbacks are beginning at a given frequency and into a very
small bandwitch. By changing the pitch just a little bit will suppress
the feedback. You can do that with the jack-rack if rubberband is
installed. It come with a LADSPA plugin called Rubber Band Pitch
Shifter in the jack-rack.

> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

"We have the heroes we deserve."