Re: S/PDIF Capture Details

Clemens Ladish wrote:

> PCM streams are marked with the "valid" bit.

>From what I understand, I just don't have access to that flag so my
best guess is still just a guess.

It's all just a matter of capturing the PCM stream and then looking
through it for the repeated sequence that is defined for compressed
data and then taking a different action. If I don't see that
repeatable block sequence I assume it's back to PCM.

By looking through IEC 64937 I understand that two consecutive
"samples" 0xF872 0x4E1F define a sync word. Section 6.3.3 of part 1 of
the standard says there may be up to four 0x0000 "samples" before this
but it is not required if "there are sequences of data-bursts so
tightly packed that there is never a sequence of all four ‘0’
subframes".

Thanks for clarifying things, Clemens. I think this should serve as a
pretty good reference if someone else has the same kind of question in
the future.

Paul Braman