Re: Applications are blocking each other

Repost to the list, accidentally postet to Nikos only.

2012/3/18 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On 17/03/12 23:53, Florian Lindner wrote:
>>
>> My system is a Linux 3.2.11 (Archlinux) / KDE 4.8.1.
>>
>> The system used to work perfectly. Today I have installed a new
>> soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence STX) in addition to my onboard
>> soundcard.
>>[...]
>> It seems that only one application can use the sound device. KDE
>> phonon fails if vlc is active, same for flashplayer (which stays just
>> silent)
>
> I've hit this too.  It seems dmix is only used for the first card.  The
> way I solved this is to compile a kernel with the driver for my PCI card
> built-in, and the other drivers compiled as modules.  Then dmix is used
> for my PCI card.

Has a developer ever commented on that? If that is the cause of it, it
seems to be clearly a bug with alsa.

> But if you don't need the other sound devices and have everything
> compiled as modules, then you can simply blacklist those modules.

Well, I have blacklisted the module for my onboard sound:

florian@horus ~ % cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [STX            ]: AV200 - Xonar STX
                     Asus Virtuoso 100 at 0xde00, irq 19

but yet, no change, any application is still blocking it for other applicaitons.