Re: ALSA (SSM2602) issue

Quoting Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Mark Bishop wrote:
>> I can use a utility called 'tone' that is part of my BSP and it opens
>> /dev/dsp and plays a sin wave through a SPORT port on my blackfin. I
>> can then see this data get through the SSM2603 codec and out to a
>> speaker.  And, when I read the codec registers while the tone is
>> playing I see that it is in I2S 16 bit mode.
>>
>> When I use 'aplay test.wav' I get no data across the SPORT port and I
>> notice that the codec registers are now set to 32 bit I2S mode.  I'm
>> not sure if this even matters but it is the only difference in
>> hardware settings when I use 'aplay' vs 'tone.'
>
> Is the .wav file 32 bits, or did aplay decide to convert to 32 bits
> (use -v to check), or is there a bug in your driver?
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

So I did a bit more debugging (and I am a complete ALSA newb)

root:/> aplay -v test.wav
Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: Rate conversion PCM (48000, sformat=S32_LE)
Converter: linear-interpolation
Protocol version: 10002
Its setup is:
   stream       : PLAYBACK
   access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
   format       : S16_LE
   subformat    : STD
   channels     : 2
   rate         : 44100
   exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
   msbits       : 16
   buffer_size  : 15052
   period_size  : 940
   period_time  : 21333
   tstamp_mode  : NONE
   period_step  : 1
   avail_min    : 940
   period_event : 0
   start_threshold  : 15052
   stop_threshold   : 15052
   silence_threshold: 0
   silence_size : 0
   boundary     : 986447872
Slave: Direct Stream Mixing PCM
Its setup is:
   stream       : PLAYBACK
   access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
   format       : S32_LE
   subformat    : STD
   channels     : 2
   rate         : 48000
   exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
   msbits       : 32
   buffer_size  : 16384
   period_size  : 1024
   period_time  : 21333
   tstamp_mode  : NONE
   period_step  : 1
   avail_min    : 1024
   period_event : 0
   start_threshold  : 16384
   stop_threshold   : 16384
   silence_threshold: 0
   silence_size : 0
   boundary     : 1073741824
Hardware PCM card 0 'bfin-ssm2602' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
   stream       : PLAYBACK
   access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
   format       : S32_LE