usb bridge and default sample rate

Greetings,

I'm using an usb/spdif bridge, feeding audio to an external DAC.
The USB bridge supports up to 96khz sample rates, DAC is 48khz max.

My problem is that when linux boots, there are some horrible crackling noises coming from my speakers (audio system is always on.)
The noise stops when i start playing any audio file (when alsa sets sample rate to 44.1khz.)

I believe the problem is that when alsa initialise the USB device, the default sample rate would be 96khz ?
Anyway my DAC doesn't seem to be happy with it..

Is there any way to set default sample manually with a kernel parameter ? (i found device_setup, but it seems to be dedicated to M-Audio usb cards.)
Or is there a kind workaround ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Alexandre.