Re: USB DAC

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server socket
> jack server is not running or cannot be started
>
> I think they must be coming from GStreamer.

It's likely that GS tries to play through jack first.

As for your actual problem, it appears that your playing daemon does not
actually reread the configuration file.  Which program is this, and how
is it restarted?

Regards,
Clemens

It is a program that I wrote.  It contains GStreamer code for playing (using playbin2).

I described the operation as "restarting" the daemon, but my script actually stops the daemon before doing anything.  To stop the daemon, the script uses the stop argument to the play program.  The new instance of the play program sends a kill SIGINT to the running instance which then exits.  The new instance waits until it confirms that the running instance has exited, at which point the new instance exits.  The new instance prints an error message (which I am not getting) if the daemon fails to exit.  My script then runs ps to confirm again that the daemon exited.  At this point, the script issues a command to wait 2 seconds and then replace the .asoundrc file.  The script then issues another command to wait 4 seconds and then start the daemon (using the start argument to the play program).  I introduced the delays this morning as a test.  They made no difference.  In short, the sequence of operations is: stop the daemon, rewrite the .asoundrc file, start the daemon.

Keep in mind that the play daemon does reread .asoundrc when the script is executed from the command line.  I am tempted to add that the script also works when executed automatically by udev whenever I disconnect the USB DAC, but perhaps the internal DAC is a default that alsa uses when it fails to read .asoundrc, in which case the script could actually be failing for both connect and disconnect when it runs automatically.
--
Jeffrey Barish