Re: USB audio device: Steinberg MI4

Charles Cazabon wrote:
> It's a Steinberg MI4, which is a 4-input, 2-output device with some other
> extra features (SPDIF in/out, MIDI in/out) that I don't particularly care
> about.  It's recognized when I plug it in, and I've successfully used it for
> output (from Audacity, explicitly selecting it as the output device).  ALSA
> appears to recognize it as an input device as well, as it shows up on the
> input device selector with a number of different names,

What names?

> but when I record from any of them, I get silence.

Google says that this device has several possible input routings.
Did you configure it for the correct input?

> `alsamixer` shows it as "MI4" but says "This sound device does not have any
> controls".

This is normal for many of these kind of devices; mixer controls often
are implemented in hardware only.

However, if these settings must be done from the computer, they are
implemented with unknown vendor-specific commands.  In that case, you
would have to try to run the Windows control panel from within a virtual
machine (while unloading the USB audio driver).

Regards,
Clemens