turn off system beep

Hi list,

I guess this topic has been discussed a thousand times before, but all
my recherches in the web didn't help me, so I hope, I'll find the
solution here.

Shutting down my laptop with debian-wheezy there's always this annoying
system beep (quite loud), if I don't mute the speakers before. I can
also avoid it by logging out first and then shutting down.

I already blacklistet the pcspkr-module (adding "blacklist pcspkr" to
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf) and confirmed that it is not loaded.
This was successful that far, that using gnome there is no system beep
anymore. But it didn't help for gdm.

I also read about modifying the rc.conf, but since in debian this file
doesn't exist and I didn't find out which is equivalent, I was helpless
again.

Unfortenately I don't know, which command-outputs are necessary for you
to help me, so please tell me!

Thanks in advance.

Xenia