ac3 output over HDMI with an NVidia GeForce 330m

Hello,

I am stuck with playing back an AC3/DTS stream via my HDMI output.

I have laptop running Ubuntu 10.10 (64bit), alsa version is 1.0.23,
kernel is 2.6.35-30-generic.

I ran the alsa-info.sh script and uploaded the result, it can be found
here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=f452baaa10a73bcd37ac62c7b835ecc6c1c669c6

My setup is the following: the laptop is attached to my TV via HDMI, my
surround receiver is attached to the TV via optical cable (the TV passes
through the audio signal).

I know it is possible to make the passthrough work, as I encounter the
following strange behavior: If I watch a DVD with vlc I first get Stereo
Output (vlc performs a downmix), the receiver tells me the incoming
signal is 2.0/0. After a few minutes of playback I sometimes get a
buffer underrun in vlc and now the receiver tells me he gets a 3.2/1
signal (it is immediately audible that it is now surround).

aplay -L however lists no iec958 device:
aplay -L
null
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC259 Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    Hardware device with all software conversions

I tried playing back a Dolby Trailer (from
http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/movie_index.php?type=dolby) with
MPlayer on the command line and forcing ac3 playback, but I only get
stereo output:

mplayer -ac hwac3,hwdts, -ao alsa:device=hw=1.3
dolbyaurora/dolbyaurora.vob
<snip/>
Playing dolbyaurora/dolbyaurora.vob.
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x576  (aspect 3)  25.000 fps  9800.0 kbps (1225.0
kbyte/s)
<snip/>
Forced audio codec: hwac3
Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
hwac3: switched to AC3, 384000 bps, 48000 Hz
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3be, 384.0 kbit/25.00% (ratio: 48000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [hwac3] afm: hwac3 (AC3 through S/PDIF)
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: conf.c:4500:(parse_args) Unknown parameter AES0
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: conf.c:4633:(snd_config_expand) Parse arguments
error: No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm.c:2208:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM
hw:1,3,AES0=6
[AO_ALSA] Format ac3be is not supported by hardware, trying default.
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch ac3le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...

I also tried the following:
mplayer -ac hwac3,hwdts, -ao alsa:device=iec958=NVidia
dolbyaurora/dolbyaurora.vob

which gives the following error:
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1293:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open
'/dev/snd/pcmC1D1p' failed (-2): No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1293:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open
'/dev/snd/pcmC1D1p' failed (-2): No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa:device=iec958=NVidia'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

(there is no device 1, so there is no pcmC1D1p, just devices 3,7,8 and 9
but I do not know how to tell mplayer to use device 3 instead)

I am now pretty much stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If
there is any more info necessary just tell me and will be happy to
provide it. Or if there is any RTFM you recommend can recommend me doing
(I have been all over the alsa-wiki already) I am grateful for any
pointers.

Thanks in advance!

Christoph