Re: help with Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 USB

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Nicolai Krakowiak
<nicolai.krakowiak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 4:37 AM, Daniel Mack <zonque@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Interface 3 is the MIDI streaming interface, and
>> snd_usb_create_mixer() shouldn't find any controls there. I assume
>> there is a confusion in the usage of mixer->chip_ctrl_if, and the code
>> there also seems wrong. Can you test whether the attached patch fixes
>> the problem for you?
>
> Still no mixer controls showing up under alsamixer.  On selecting
> hw:1, I get this dead center:

That patch was only to prevent the mixer from looking at interface 3
and parse the entries there according to the UAC1 spec. Which is
obviously totally bogus. You added printk()s there before to trace it,
and this is also what caused the division-by-zero. Do you still see
the code do that after my patch?

> I did fire up pulseaudio and pavucontrol, and I got 4.1 controls in
> the Output Devices for the 18i6.  The left and right channel sliders
> work as expected for the monitor and headphone outs.

PulseAudio will add software volume controls in case the hardware (and
its driver) doesn't provide them.

> There isn't
> anything listed under the "Input Devices" in pavucontrol, though.

Do you see the record stream in /proc/asound? What does 'arecord -l' tell?

> There is a proc entry for the usbmixer.  It may have been there prior
> to your last patch (I can double check if you like).  Only thought to
> look at it after seeing the controls under pulseaudio.

There's certainly still something wrong with the mixer code, and we
need to fix that. If you want, you're welcome to check why the code
fails to find the correct topology entries. In particular, checking
why it doesn't recognize the one with bUnitID=10 would be a good
start. It's always much easier if you have access to the hardware :)

Daniel