Re: Record wav file

On 18 Jul 2011, at 20:17, kmpirkos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I'm looking for a way to modify the alsa recording example found here http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6735?page=0,2 and shown below (or use any other sample program you may suggest), in order to produce a wav file rather than send the buffer contents to the standard output. I want to do something very specific, so using the arecord utility is not an option for me. Any help?

converting a raw stream into a wav file is simply a question of putting a 44 byte wav header on at the begining of the file.  This gives the sampling frequency (44.1kHz), number of channels (2) and bytes per sample (2, or possibly bits, I forget exactly); it also gives the duration for the recording which you won't know until you have finished.

What I did many years ago to do this was to seek to 44 bytes (on an empty output file) and record the raw data and then when I had finished, seek back to the beginning and write the header.

The header format is well-documented and well-known: Google will find it easily.

jch