static when recording from microphone

Hi,
I've got a Compaq Presario 12XL505 laptop with a VT82C686 sound chip.
Playing sound works fine.  However, when I record sound using an external
microphone, there is static recorded along with the sound. The microphone
and microphone jack seem to be working fine, since there is no static when
I have the microphone's input played immediately (i.e., when I change the
Mic setting in the Playback view of alsamixer).  The microphone also
sounds fine when used on another computer.

I've tried recording with different settings and different programs, and I
even compiled a newer version of alsa-driver (1.0.24) using
alsa-compile.sh, but the problem remains.  Any suggestions?

By the way, the output of alsa-info.sh (when using the ALSA drivers
included in Debian's linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 package) is available at
http://pastebin.com/jSRzJLrW
Please let me know if you want any other information.

Thanks,
Brian Pike