Re: plughw versus hw

On 06/21/2011 04:33 PM, alsa-user-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:04:48 +0400
> From: Vladimir Mosgalin<mosgalin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re:  plughw versus hw
> To: alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hi Pierre Habraken!
>
>   On 2011.06.21 at 15:42:14 +0200, Pierre Habraken wrote next:
>
>> Thanks to you (and to Vladimir) I understand better now why I need
>> plughw to play 24bits files.
>>
>> If it's not taking too much of your time, I'd have one more question:
>> When I try to play a 24bits/192KHz file using plughw, aplay -v displays
>> the data below, without any error message, but nothing is sent to the
>> DAC. Is this because the Xonar DX Linux driver does not take in account
>> 192KHz sounds ? But in that case why Alsa does not report any error
>> message ?
>>

> Check your DAC specification, it probably can accept 192 khz streams
> only at 16 bit, and for 24 bits are limited to 96khz. It's quite typical
> and probably is S/PDIF bandwidth limitation (not sure); you have to use
> HDMI to get more.

Indeed, I checked my DAC specification and you know what: it's input is
limited to 96 KHz ! I should have checked that before asking. Sorry for
the trouble...

I just made a trial with an other DAC that someone lent me. The
specification of that one tells that it does accept 24/192 streams, and
indeed, it works !

> There is no error because 24/192 streams in itself work fine, and DAC
> chip on audio card can process that stream - it's just that there is
> trouble either sending it through S/PDIF or receiving by external DAC,
> which is outside of the scope of your card, so there is no error.

The conclusion of all that is that the Xonar DX works perfectly with
Linux and Alsa and allows playing any sound file from 16/44.1 to 24/192.

Thanks again to you.

Pierre