Re: plughw versus hw

Hi Pierre Habraken!

 On 2011.06.21 at 15:42:14 +0200, Pierre Habraken wrote next:

> Thanks to you (and to Vladimir) I understand better now why I need
> plughw to play 24bits files.
>
> If it's not taking too much of your time, I'd have one more question:
> When I try to play a 24bits/192KHz file using plughw, aplay -v displays
> the data below, without any error message, but nothing is sent to the
> DAC. Is this because the Xonar DX Linux driver does not take in account
> 192KHz sounds ? But in that case why Alsa does not report any error
> message ?

Check your DAC specification, it probably can accept 192 khz streams
only at 16 bit, and for 24 bits are limited to 96khz. It's quite typical
and probably is S/PDIF bandwidth limitation (not sure); you have to use
HDMI to get more.

There is no error because 24/192 streams in itself work fine, and DAC
chip on audio card can process that stream - it's just that there is
trouble either sending it through S/PDIF or receiving by external DAC,
which is outside of the scope of your card, so there is no error.

--

Vladimir