Re: First post

On 06/20/2011 11:52 AM, Pierre Lorenzon wrote:
> Hi,
>

> From: David Henderson<dhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re:  First post
> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:28:48 -0400
>
>> Thanks for the reply Pierre.  I checked into the blfs book, but
>> it merely says "these five chapters will cover alsa" and then
>> gives you a basic "type configure&&  make".  This is obviously
>> not going to answer the questions below. :) Any other thoughts?
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> On 06/19/2011 11:22 PM, Pierre Lorenzon wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It looks like to me such questions are well answered in the
>>> blfs book. I personnaly think that the latter is a very good
>>> tool to build his own custom distro.
>>>
>>> Bests
>>>
>>> Pierre
>>>

>>> From: David Henderson<dhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> Subject:  First post
>>> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:41:08 -0400

>      This question is answered by the blfs book. First alsa-lib
>      and after alsa-utils.

>      No ! I am running a 2.6.32 kernel and never installed
>      alsa-driver. Anyway if the sound system is something very
>      exotic it might be necessary ...

Great one less thing to compile! :)

>      Humm ! I don't really understand this method. In my opinion
>      if you want to have a custom distro you first install a
>      basic systme on a partition or in a directory. Once the
>      basic system is installed (more or less the content of the
>      lfs book) you simply chroot to this new system to install
>      the rest of the stuff. Following this scheme there will be
>      no problem. I did it many times !
>
>      It leads me to a more global question : you say you want to
>      build a custom distro but do you have some kind of
>      documentation to do that ? If you plan to do that on your
>      own, it's a big deal ! Anyway I'll suggest you to have a
>      look at the lfs book. It might be that the installation
>      schedule suggested by the lfs team is not suitable for you
>      but in my opinion it is better to check this point before
>      "reinventing the weel" as we say in french !
>

>      Bests
>
>      Pierre

I guess the best way to describe what I'm trying to accomplish would be
to look at it from a package maintainers perspective.  They have to
compile the source code into a staging directory so they can package the
software.  If they just ran the normal "configure && make && make
install", how would they know what files to include in the software
package as they get spread through the FS?  There has to be a staging
directory that contains everything in isolation so that the package
maintainer doesn't have to do so much overhead just to create a package,
but when the package is installed, it works correctly (hence using
DESTDIR and not --prefix).  The problem I'm having, as stated, is that I
think alsa is looking for header files or whatever under normal
installation directories (e.g. /usr/... or /usr/local/...), but I need
it to look under the staging directory (/opt/staging/alsa) since that's
where the other matching compiled packages of alsa reside.  Any thoughts
to accomplish this?  In other words, what are the compile parameters a
package maintainer includes to compile alsa?

Thanks,
Dave