Re: First post

... or Sorcerer.

James, you need to use the new system for compiling, not some other one.
And how do you install applications on your "custom" system? By .deb
packages?!?! Come on, this is not a custom system! This is exactly what
Pierre said: reinventing the wheel. Like Ubuntu for Debian - who needs a
copy when you have the original *for free*!!!

You might be better using an already established distro, or if you want
to go a little more in-deep, you might want to try a source based
distro: that will definitely help you better understand the linux
environment than what you are trying to do. There are already known
dependencies that these distros will give you the choice to compile in
or not. But doing that all by yourself is really an "misuse of resources".

If you do have that much free time, why don't you continue an already
existing project? Join a project and ask for work: there will be so much
interesting things you could do that will be over your head in less than
a week after joining any open source project. Just ask!

Keep up the good work! Work together!