Re: First post

--prefix is a ./configure option.

If you're going to apply the new alsa to an existing distro kernel and
not a custom from source one.  You'll likely need to install the
kernel-headers package for that kernel and distro.  And may need to
manually move the old version of alsa (or remove).  Plus that whole
depmod thing.

$ dpkg -l '*kernel*headers*'

Which resolves to linux-kernel-headers in debian.  Which is a psuedo
package for:
linux-libc-dev
2.6.26-26lenny3
and of course 2.6.26-26lenny3 resolves to linux-tree-2.6.26lenny3

so:
# apt-get install linux-libc-dev linux-tree-2.6.26-26lenny3
(in debian 5.0 / lenny)

If it's a custom one, just don't make clean after making the kernel.
It should reside in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/ or something like
that.  BITD, this would just be a symlink to/from /usr/src/linux and
was what early alsa assumed by default.

Depending on what multimedia features you need.  You might want
--with-sequencer=yes and --with-oss=yes and a --driver=<your card>
options on your alsa-driver compile.  Without those =no might be
assumed.  And you might compile ALL drivers which could take a really
long time.  Less so these days, but BITD, the better part of a day it
seemed.

It really depends on what you want interacting with your sound card.
Timidity and other synth like software requires the
--with-sequencer=yes if your card doesn't have native midi abilities
(most don't these days).  And various pulse-audio and browsers and
other things that just need --with-oss=yes or things might not work as
expected, if at all.  Little things that you'll find out one way or
another as you learn your way around.

HTH,
- James