Re: Which pci-e card?

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 15:23 +0000, lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The order changes when you boot. I have seen solutions to this posted. A job for google.
>
> I move the order around in yast, but of course that advice is only useful if you run suse/opensuse.
>
> If you run multiple cards and want to minimize headaches, find a used Magma PCI bus card cage. They work fine under linux. There is nothing to install, that is the kernel recognizes the Magma box. You have to power the Magma box before booting the linux PC.
>
> I've run 5 cards at a time. I have capacity for seven cards. Each extended pci slot is unique so the order remains the same. The only disadvantage is the size of the Magma box and the cost.
> The Magma boxes that take one Pci and yield seven slots are easy to find used. Much harder to find is the version that takes one pcie slot and yields seven pci slots.

Has anybody issues with the card order after startup?

I've never seen this for current Debian and Ubuntu, but right, for Suse
Yast2 is able to handle it and for old Debian installs

# I have multiple audio interfaces. How can I make sure they are given
consistent device numbers by ALSA?

As root, add lines like these to the end of
your /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file:

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

options snd-emu10k1 index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-rme9652

options snd-rme9652 index=1

alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio

options snd-usb-audio index=2

In this example, a Creative Labs Audigy is set to card 0 for normal file
playback, an RME Hammerfall is card 1 for jackd, and a USB midi
connector is card 2.

http://www.64studio.com/faq_user

For my setup the sequence always is the same, just for ALSA MIDI auto
connecting to the Terratecs is a little bit tricky, since they have
identically names. In case of need they have to be connected manually
and not by a scrip.

$ hdspmixer

HDSPMixer 1.6 - Copyright (C) 2003 Thomas Charbonnel <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
HDSPMixer is free software, see the file COPYING for details

Looking for RME cards :
Card 0 : RME AIO S/N 0x579bcc at 0xfdbf0000, irq 18
RME AIO found !
Card 1 : TerraTec EWX24/96 at 0xbf00, irq 20
Card 2 : TerraTec EWX24/96 at 0xbb00, irq 21
1 RME cards card found.
Restoring last presets used