Re: [SPAM] No Sound in Debian 6

Hi,

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 02:21:28PM +0200, s.keupert@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>  Hello Everyone!
>
> After I recently switched to Debian I had the problem that only one Application could use my speakers at the same time, and that the microphone was not working. I tried to fix it with HowTos from the www without really knowing what I was doing. Now I have no Sound at all. Under Ubuntu 10.10 everything was working (though the micro was a bit quiet).
> I'm using Debian 6 with Xfce and Lxde on a Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop.

I'm afraid the problem is totally not linked to the Debian Squeeze distro,
reaosn: there are similar problems for some chipsets, especially the famous
Intel HDA Audio chipset in Ubuntu:
I googled and found some suggestions like puting a ppa repo in your
sources.list and removing then replacing alsa-base and alsa-utils by a ppa
version;
in Debian I'm still waiting to know what to do since those ppa repos are
only for Ubuntu distro's.
I notices that the problem with ALSA occured since previous distros, that's
why the info/suggestions at ubuntuforums refers to 9.10 (Intrepid, but also
to all the other published editions; so this ALSA problem is now appeared
since long time ago but still not resolved!
Note: I'm not telling that the problem happens for all chipsets, but tons of
persons should probably encouter such a problem when using laptops and
netbooks fitted with Intel hda chipsets.
At this moment I overbridge the problem on a absurd virtual way: external
speakers, there is a vol-button you can rise up.

The best solution is that the ALSA gurus definitely fix the problem
or that they should give us a good suggestion how to replace ALSA by Jack or
OSS4, or telling us if the problem is being resolved soon!

Unfortunately I can't apply lots of suggestions made by James in previous
mailings, I'm a command-line user, not a Gnome user;
but in essence that doesn't matter in Linux: when a system works it works in
cli or in X as well, that's one of the nicest properties of Gnu/Linux!

Y P