Re: Keeping digital output active

On Sat, 7 May 2011 11:19:31 -0400
David <devurandom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is the same issue that no response was provided for here:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.user/29251/match=digital+sync
>
> Essentially, I have digital audio going to a receiver in the other room.
> Whenever the playing app closes and re-opens the audio device (pianobar,
> mplayer) between songs, the digital audio stream looses sync and the first
> second or two of audio is not heard.  Other side effects seem to be a
> hanging "last sample" that throws off the level meters on my Roland M-1000
> digital line mixer after the audio device is closed.
>

> I've been using softvol and tried adding dmix, hoping that it would keep the
> output alive when no audio is being played, but no luck.  When using dmix, I
> can prevent the audio device from closing by starting up aplay and leaving
> it hanging waiting for input, but this isn't terribly elegant.
>
> Are there any other ways to achieve this same effect?  I don't need to
> support multiple formats on the digital output, so doing something that
> keeps the hardware layer open is an option too.
>
> David

I've been playing recently with acoustic measurements and as the first step
i connected the soundcard analog output with its "Line In".

My capture session envelopes playback session, i.e. first I start capture and
then with a delay playback. The capture session is run in background and it
completes after playback.

I always see a pulse in capture - even when I playback only zeros. This
explain why I hear this pulse in headphones when I start, say, ecasound on
per song basis.

I'm working with 'hw' devices, so it all supposed to be plain 'alsalib' and
drivers.

I worked around the problem by further delaying capture - giving enough time
for the exponential decay of the the pulse, but it sucks.

Regards,
  Sergei.