ALC861 on Uniwill L51RI

Hi there, I hope i'm in the right list... if not, please let me know.

I have a laptop (Uniwill L51RI [Gericom Hollywood Advance]) with HDA ALC861.
On initial installation of Ubuntu (any from 8.x - to 10.10) sound output works with ALSA without problem, input not at all.
I have managed to get the microphone sound (int. or ext. can't remember) played back via speakers using HDA-Analyzer,
not managed to get it to record etc.

My plan:
From a clean install (preferable Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04) compile newest ALSA

then what are the first steps to do to be able to trace my steps and to get support here or somewhere else?

Who can help me to debug the whole thing and make it available for everyone?

Where should I put output from alsa-info.sh, who can help me make a new model for snd-hda-intel module?

How do I use the codecgraph?

(I'm happy to get some direct links for specific pages, however, I gave up on google, followed everything I could find. Most sensible seems to me try HDA-Analyzer together with someone who can help me get a bit further [if I get mic sound to output, how do I get it to record etc.])

Thanks in advance, Florian