Troubleshooting M-Audio Delta 44 (ICE1712)

Greetings everyone,
  I'm writing to request assistance with getting my M-Audio Delta 44
(ICE1712) functioning under a fresh Gentoo installation. At first, I
thought I had an issue with jackd, because I could not get it to
start. I tried many configuration options, but typically got ALSA
"poll time out" messages, then jackd would die. So, I decided to
examine my ALSA installation more carefully.

  Today, I decided to see if I could just get a sound to play using
aplay (from the command line without starting X11). What I notice is
that aplay just freezes at some point while processing the input wav
file. I get no sound, and I have to Ctlr-C to stop it. Here's an
example:

$ aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
Plug PCM: Route conversion PCM (sformat=S32_LE)
  Transformation table:
    0 <- 0
    1 <- 0
    2 <- 0
    3 <- 0
    4 <- 0
    5 <- 0
    6 <- 0
    7 <- 0
    8 <- 0
    9 <- 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 1
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 6144
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1024
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 6144
  stop_threshold   : 6144
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 6917529027641081856
Slave: Direct Stream Mixing PCM
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S32_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 10
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 24
  buffer_size  : 6144
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1024
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 6144
  stop_threshold   : 6144
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 6917529027641081856
Hardware PCM card 0 'M Audio Delta 44' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S32_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 10
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 24
  buffer_size  : 6553
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : ENABLE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1024
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 7378022089539715072
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 7378022089539715072
  boundary     : 7378022089539715072
  appl_ptr     : 0
  hw_ptr       : 0
########################+                          | 46%^C
Aborted by signal Interrupt...

You'll notice in this example that it has frozen at the 46% mark.
Other files may stop at different points. All indications (aplay,
lspci, /proc/asound, alsamixer, etc.) are that the card is being
recognized, and that the associated kernel module is loaded.

I've tried a number of sites for answers including:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/TroubleShooting
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-ice1712
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

... and countless forum posts

I have run alsa-info, and the result can be seen here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=0703a7d0bd8da7a7b4bc387e107900acd0674a7b

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with information about
further testing or configuration.

Thanks,
~Jim