Intel HD Audio suddenly stopped after upgrade 2.6.36 -> later

(Preamble: i've somehow got a strange 'beeing moderated' reply from
mailman even though for a subscriber (i did subscribe) mails should go
unmoderated, right? if i'm wrong, please bear with me ;/ sorry!)

Hello dear list,

this is my first post to this ml, so i may not be all that accustommed
to the habits here, please bear with me :).

I've got a strange problem with my Intel HD Audio Card which lspci shows
as:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
High Definition Audio (rev 05)

and seems to be driven by snd_hda_intel and snd_hda_codec_realtek
(please query for missing information i haven't included, i'm not too
much into alsa debugging, sorry ;/). I am using the coaxial S/PDIF
output on this card to connect to a 5.1-AV-Receiver. To get this output
i use a .asoundrc which first does a soft-vol mixing, then stereoupmixes
the signal to 5.1 and then encodes it in a52 to send it out. My
.asoundrc:

pcm.a52encode {
        type a52
}

pcm.stereoupmix {
        type upmix
        slave.pcm "a52encode"
        channels 6
}

pcm.softvol {
    type            softvol
    slave.pcm       "stereoupmix"
    control.name    "Softmaster"
    control.card    0
}

pcm.!default "plug:softvol"

Until 2.6.35 (and possibly .36, i need to try again, not sure whether i
remember correctly) everything worked fine, all programs (mpd, aplay,
even kde and mplayer) outputted nice 5.1 sound without any quirks. Then
recently when i tried to upgrade to 2.6.37.x (and then also tried
2.6.38-rc 4 and 8) sound just wouldn't work. I've spent hours reading on
this ML and the wiki as well as various off-site BBS posts and tried
around with various .asoundrcs, speakertest and aplay as well as amixer
to find anything hidden (like some new switch in the mixer that i need
to raise / set to the right value), but i haven't found anything - it
just wouldn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! ... and, uh, sorry for my bad
english! German-Native here ;).

Kind Regards
- Dario